Sunday 20 November 2011

Soutpan, in search of the elusive Baillon's Crake Part 2

It's early morning and the weather is terrible but I'm still full of hope and on my way to try my hand at finding the elusive Baillon's Crake!

Now some may say I cheat a bit though as this time I'm going with the experts, my fellow birders from the Free State Birding Club.  They had luck in finding the bird at least 90% of the time and I was pretty sure that today would be the day.

Upon our arrival it was quite cold, cloudy, windy and a drop of rain here and there.  None the less we where out with bino's and spotting scopes pointed in the direction of the small remaining patch of water.  Quite a bit less water than what was around the last time I visited the pan.

The first spectacular bird to make its appearance was a female Greater Painted Snipe, tick and another lifer in the bag.  She was so relaxed that we were able to all take our time in soaking up her utter beauty through the spotting scopes.  A little latter the male also put in an appearance but it was short lived and with this he also spooked the female and they both disappeared into the long grass.

A quick "there it is" came from my left and just as I got to the scope and peered down the lens I could see a small blue critter disappear behind a clump of grass.  I had it but would have loved to have a better look.

Not too long afterwards and my wish was granted, as we made our way back along the stretch of water be saw a female move along the grass line.  We watched her moving in and out of view for about five minutes until she disappeared for the last time.

As we approached the car one flushed from the side of the road and a little later another darted over a stretch of open ground.

After four separate sightings I could now say with fair certainty that I've seen the Elusive Baillon's Crakes of Soutpan and what a pleasure it was making an acquaintance with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment